Consisting of 3 elected members, the Trustees of the Windham Cemeteries are charged with oversight of the cemeteries, sale and maintenance of grave lots, and coordination of interments. The Trustees operate in accordance with State statute, and adhere to their own adopted by-laws, as well. Any questions pertaining to burials, historical cemetery documents, meeting minutes and the like should be referred to the Trustees.
Historic interment information is available here on the website. Genealogists should note that many of Windham's early settlers are not buried here, but at Forest Hill Cemetery in Derry NH. The Derry Public Library has developed a searchable database of those records, which can be found here.
If you're unsuccessful in your search, feel free to email your inquiry to the Chair, and we will reply as expeditiously as we are able.
- Do I need to be a resident to purchase burial rights?
Burial rights (aka lots) can be purchased by current and former residents, seasonal camp owners, and current and former employees subject to certain restrictions. Please refer to the Rules and Regulations for more information.
- What is the cost to purchase burial rights, and can I get a "family" plot?
Lots are sold only as singles. Each lot can accommodate 1 casket with no more than 2 urns OR no more than 4 urns alone. Current, total price per lot is $400.
- Can I pre-buy lots as part of pre-planning for my funeral? Can I install a headstone in advance?
Yes and yes.
- Where are there lots available for purchase?
Lots are currently available for purchase in the New Plains Cemetery only, in Block 15 or Blocks 20-28.
- How can I arrange for a burial in an old lot originally purchased by my grandfather, great-aunt, etc.
In cases where the original owner(s) died many years ago, you first have to establish who the burial rights were passed down to - through probate, wills, or trusts - and present copies of those documents. If the rights currently belong to someone other than you, written/notarized authorization for the burial will need to be obtained from the owner(s).
- I own a lot but I've decided to be buried somewhere else. Can I run an ad and sell my lot(s)?
No. Sale of lots to others is strictly prohibited. Instead, contact the Trustees to return the lot(s) to the Town for the original cost you paid.
- I want to plant a small shrub on my lot, is this allowed?
No. Planting of bushes and shrubs is strictly prohibited. You may plant flowers or small plants within the one foot (1') area in front of the headstone only.
- Why can the neighboring lot have a shrub/shepherd hook/fence/etc and I can't?
Those items and others like them are prohibited. Please do not mimic bad behavior. For a full description of what is allowed/prohibited, please refer to the Rules and Regulations.
- Can I bring my dog to the cemetery for some exercise or to visit?
No. Dogs are not allowed anywhere within the cemetery grounds. Please contact Animal Control at 434-5577 to report violations.