- Your Government
- Boards & Committees
- All Other Boards & Committees
- Historic District/Heritage Commission
- Windham Historic Districts
Windham Historic Districts
Searles School & Chapel
Mr. Searles engaged the Boston architect Henry Vaughan to design a castle in the style of Stanton Harcourt Manor in Oxon County, England. The building, which is located on Searles Road in Windham, was completed in 1915. The castle and its associated complex of impressive stone walls, have been hallmarks of the Town's landscape ever since. The Searles School and Chapel was built and donated to the Town of Windham by Mr. Searles in exchange for a piece of property on which originally stood "school house Number 1." Because the school land was completely surrounded by Searles-owned property, Mr. Searles proposed the exchange, which would include a Tudor style school with stained glass windows, cypress paneling, and a tower holding twelve carillons. The building opened in 1909 and is, today, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Simpson Cellar Hole
On June 17, 1775 a number of Windham patriots fought the British at Bunker Hill, Charlestown Massachusetts. Mr. Simpson's original home on the west side of Marblehead Road, a short distance from Rock Pond, burned to the ground. That cellar hole has been filled.
The Stickney general store and related buildings were located at the Windham Junction, and the cellar remains in the area behind the caboose on Depot Road.
Town Center, which today includes the Town Hall, the Armstrong Memorial Building (formerly housing Nesmith Library), the Bartley House (currently housing the Town's Planning Office), the stone front fire station, the Town Pound, and the Windham Presbyterian Church, actually is located at the approximate geographic center of the Town of Windham.
Located of Anderson Road in West Windham, the Union Hall was constructed in 1880 to serve the "Literary-Social and Religious" needs of a growing population living some distance from the center of town.
The Windham Depot was established as a Historic District in 2003. Since that time, the Commission has been working cooperatively with the Windham Depot Advisory Committee on extensively researching this area.
Gage Lands Sheep Pen
Early 19th century sheep pen that is one of the area's last remaining relics of the sheep craze that spread throughout New England in that period.
Governor Dinsmore Plaque
The Governor Dinsmore Plaque was designated a Historic District in 2020.